Bruen Chapel has been a part of the Merrifield community for over 140 years. In 1876, a mission from the Congregational Church of Falls Church came to Merrifield and started a Sunday School in an old log schoolhouse. After meeting there for twenty years, a church was organized with Rev. William Livingston Bruen as its first pastor. At the time, the congregation was a part of the Fairfax Circuit and met in a buiding on the corner of Lee Highway and Juniper Street, across the street from the present-day Mosaic District. The cornerstone for that building was laid on November 3, 1896.
In 1938, the building was moved back from the roadway by 38 feet by the State Highway Department, and Sunday School rooms were added to the original construction. A parsonage was built on Cedar lane in 1946 and 1947. In 1948, Bruen Chapel became a Station Appointment — one church served by one pastor.
Through the efforts of its members, the Church continued to grow and its building was expanded until the mid-1950’s, when it became inadequate to meet the congregational needs. Plans were made to move into a new building at a new location, and our current site at 3035 Cedar Lane was purchased.
On July 13, 1958, the first services were held in the new facility, which consisted of a sanctuary/fellowship hall, kitchen, and Church School rooms. As the congregation grew, additional space was required. In October 1965, additional classrooms, a library, and office space were added to the church. In 1972, the Montessori School of Cedar Lane began to meet in our facilities.
In 2000, the Church began a capital campaign to renovate the sanctuary and downstairs areas. The parsonage was sold, and some of the proceeds were used to fund the campaign. That work was completed in June 2005, resulting in a more modern worship space and improved facilities for the Montessori School.