Advent is a special time at Bruen Chapel and for Christians around the world. In this season, we anticipate the birth of Jesus anew. At the darkest time of year, God’s Son brought light into the world, so we contemplate what this precious gift means for us as Christians today. It is a time to give generously to help those who are less fortunate in our immediate community and globally and to find a place of spiritual peace and joy in the season, away from the materialism and hustle and bustle. Please check back for updates in late November.
Special Giving and Missions
Bruen Chapel has many ways to give back and support the material and spiritual needs of the less fortunate this season.
- #GivingTuesday: You know about Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but what about #GivingTuesday? The Tuesday after Thanksgiving kicks off holiday/end-of-year giving to charity. While there are many worthy causes out there, we like the idea of welcoming the stranger and helping new immigrants and refugees as an outgrowth of our ESL ministry. Consider donating to ESLIM or National Justice for Our Neighbors (via UMCOR). Got another favorite you’d like to include? Make a suggestion on our Facebook page!
- Salvation Army stockings help bring joy and gifts to children 12 and under. Stockings available in October and due back to Bruen Chapel December 2nd. See Jill to sign up or ask questions.
- Warming Tree: Bring new socks, gloves, and mittens in all sizes and place on the tree in the front entry way. Items collected benefit local ministries for the unsheltered in our area.
- Wesley Housing: Donate to help this Methodist ministry partner to give 40 families, 100 teens, 250 seniors, and other residents a wonderful Christmas. You can designate your gift to Wesley Housing and drop in the offering plate or donate directly here. (Check back for information on hands-on volunteer service.)
- Food for Others: Our collection of non-perishable food items continues year round, but food is especially needed over the holidays when children are out of school and local families have higher heating fuel expenses. Food and monetary donations are appreciated!
Events and Activities
Trimming the Chrismon Tree (After Thanksgiving)
Help us decorate the tree in the sanctuary and adorn the outside with Christmas lights. Hot chocolate and tea will be provided.
Advent Worship: Each Sunday in December (2nd through 23rd)
Starting December 2nd, we will light a new Advent candle each week as we celebrate the coming of Emmanuel.
Advent Discussion on Discipleship (To Be Scheduled)
Topics and timing to be determined.
Parents’ Afternoon or Night Out (To Be Scheduled)
Need a night out or to do some last minute holiday errands without the kids in tow? Kids ages three to ten are welcome to join us for holiday crafts, music, and a pizza dinner. Please consider making a donation toward refurbishing our church sign. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details and to RSVP.
Lessons and Carols, Sunday December 16th
Join us for a special Advent worship service, featuring our choir presenting special music for the Christmas season.
Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, December 24th
One of the most beautiful services of the year!